It is truly hard to begin. Cheryl has been synonymous with Cantate Carlisle for more that 30 years. She has an amazing depth of faith in the people who have become part of Cantate; she has invested a lifetime of bringing beautiful music to this area; something she strives for in every part of her life.
One is immediately taken with her love of students and love of music from her days as a teacher at the local high school to her time with us in Cantate Carlisle. One of the things noticed right away is how she inspired her students to love music. She made music real to them. She has inspired that same passion for music in the singers in Cantate.
We all know that Cheryl is a stickler for details and paying strict attention to what the composer is trying to convey. There is never a moment wasted in rehearsal – which she has timed to the minute in her lesson plans each week. However, her real passion is for the message of the music. Her desire to bring the power of the music alive is exciting – and infuses us with determination to do our best to portray that to our audiences.
All of us in Cantate Carlisle have been the recipient of Cheryl’s unstinting faith in people, whether as members of the board, singers or instrumentalists. As we celebrate the results of Cheryl’s past 30 years, here are just some of the comments from her friends and followers:
- Thank you for allowing me to be a part of this wonderful group for 16 years. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. I loved the entire process, from beginning a new piece of music to performing the final product…and welcomed the fellowship and camaraderie we all share with each other. (Dayna Bryner)
- Your vision of forming a superior choral group has certainly benefitted our community. The reasons it has worked are because of your musicianship and dedication. It was a pleasure singing under your baton for the first 9 years of the groups inception. (Connie Leitner)
- We would like to extend our sincere thanks for having a vision to begin Cantate Carlisle back in 1990. Your dedication, exceptional musicianship and leadership to maintain this choral ensemble for 30 years is extraordinary. We have been honored to be members of this outstanding group. …Know that you have left your “musical mark” on the Carlisle Community. (Ed & DeLeigh Wilson)
- 3 I thank my God upon every remembrance of you,4 Always in every prayer of mine for you all making request with joy, 5 For your fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now. (Philippians 1)
- Leann and I are most grateful for our friendships and professional collaborations over the years. …We celebrate with you the wonderful creation that Cantate Carlisle has been and will be into the future. We pray for God’s continued blessings on the next chapters of your life. (David & Leann Erickson)
- You created quite a legacy in Carlisle and I am very pleased to be a part of it. So many memories of my (17) years in Cantate. Who can forget our trips abroad; or my leaving my suitcase in Budapest…thank your for all you have done for Carlisle and for me personally. (Tim Miller)
- I remember the evening we heard the Harrisburg Symphony and you said “Karen, I would really like to organize and direct a chamber choir. Here we are 30 years later celebrating you, the director or Cantate Carlisle. You have shared so much beautiful music with Carlisle and I was honored to sing with you for a few years. Many thanks, friend. (Karen Rineard)
We, the community of Carlisle, owe a great debt of gratitude for Cheryl Parsons’ contributions to the artistic character of our borough. We would not be Carlisle without people like Cheryl Parsons in our midst.